Current:Home > ContactMaryland OKs $50.3M contract for removal of bridge collapse debris -Secure Growth Academy
Maryland OKs $50.3M contract for removal of bridge collapse debris
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 05:21:09
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A Maryland board led by Gov. Wes Moore approved a $50.3 million emergency contract on Wednesday to pay a Swedish construction company that removed debris from the March collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
While the work to remove debris from the federal channel in the Patapsco River was done by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Maryland entered into the emergency contract with Skanska USA Civil Southeast Inc. in April to remove debris from other channels that could then be used by salvage and commercial vessels after the collapse.
Skanska was chosen because it had successfully demolished the existing Nice/Middleton Bridge across the Potomac River, according to state records. The company was considered qualified and equipped to perform similar operations that were needed expeditiously in the bridge collapse.
Marshall Brown, speaking on behalf of the Laborers-Employers Cooperation and Education Trust in the Mid-Atlantic Region, spoke against the contract at a Board of Public Works meeting on Wednesday. He said Maryland had had time to consider numerous available contractors that could have been mobilized to do the work. He said the emergency no-bid contract went against a state procurement process that is designed to be fair, competitive and transparent.
“This no-bid contract does not meet the standards,” Brown said. “For those reasons, we stand firmly against the approval of this contract.”
But Bruce Gartner, executive director of the Maryland Transportation Authority, said the state’s engineers used their best professional judgment in an emergency and chose a company that already was doing work in the state.
“They were somebody that was available in the proximity, and we had knowledge that they could follow state procurement law and be responsive to the situation at hand,” said Gartner, who noted that the bridge collapse was “one of the most significant emergencies we’ve ever had.”
Procuring the debris removal through competitive bidding would have delayed the removal by a minimum of eight months, according to board documents.
At the board meeting, Moore said much work remains to rebuild the bridge, which he described as crucial to Maryland’s and the national economy.
“We need to get it rebuilt,” Moore said. “The Port of Baltimore is an essential artery for economic flow, economic activity across the country, and to put it simply, our focus on getting this done is not about nostalgia, it’s about necessity.”
The governor, a Democrat, thanked President Joe Biden’s administration for including a 100% federal cost share for the rebuild in a supplemental budget to Congress last week. Moore said he has been working to build a bipartisan coalition for the rebuild.
Maryland has estimated the cost of a new bridge to be between $1.7 billion and $1.9 billion. The state plans to build a new span by the fall of 2028.
Shortly after leaving the Port of Baltimore early on March 26, the cardo ship Dali lost power and propulsion and crashed into one of the bridge’s supporting columns, causing its collapse and killing six construction workers.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Alabama to execute Chicago man in shooting death of father of 7; inmate says he's innocent
- Donald Trump’s Family: A Guide to the Former President’s Kids and Grandkids
- Too soon for comedy? After attempted assassination of Trump, US politics feel anything but funny
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Georgia transportation officials set plans for additional $1.5 billion in spending
- Biden tests positive for COVID
- The challenges of navigating an unrelenting news cycle
- 'Most Whopper
- Maren Morris addresses wardrobe malfunction in cheeky TikTok: 'I'll frame the skirt'
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Lucas Turner: The Essence of Investing in U.S. Treasuries.
- 2024 RNC Day 3 fact check of the Republican National Convention
- Hawaii’s latest effort to recruit teachers: Put prospective educators in classrooms sooner
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Chanel West Coast Reveals Why She Really Left Ridiculousness
- Green agendas clash in Nevada as company grows rare plant to help it survive effects of a mine
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez Didn’t Acknowledge Their Anniversary—Here’s What They Did Instead
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Angelina Jolie Asks Brad Pitt to End the Fighting in Legal Battle
California first state to get federal funds for hydrogen energy hub to help replace fossil fuels
Will Smith, Johnny Depp spotted hanging out. Some people aren't too happy about it.
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
U.S. intelligence detected Iranian plot against Trump, officials say
Movie armorer seeks dismissal of her conviction or new trial in fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin
Britney Spears Tells Osbourne Family to “F--k Off” After They Criticize Her Dance Videos