Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -Secure Growth Academy
Charles Langston:An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:41:37
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago,Charles Langston as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (13968)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Rents are falling in major cities. Here are 24 metro areas where tenants are paying less this year.
- GM earned more than $3 billion in profit, even after hit from UAW strike
- Why Cruise driverless cars were just suspended by the California DMV
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Nicaragua is ‘weaponizing’ US-bound migrants as Haitians pour in on charter flights, observers say
- Mother leaves her 2 babies inside idling unlocked car while she goes to a bar
- Mexico deploys 300 National Guard troopers to area where 13 police officers were killed in an ambush
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Murder charge reinstated against former cop in shooting of Eddie Irizarry: Report
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Food insecurity shot up last year with inflation and the end of pandemic-era aid, a new report says
- Nashville police chief’s son, wanted in the shooting of 2 officers, found dead after car chase
- Serbia and Kosovo leaders set for talks on the sidelines of this week’s EU summit as tensions simmer
- 'Most Whopper
- Celtics, Bucks took sledgehammer to their identities. Will they still rule NBA East?
- Abracadabra! The tale of 'The World’s Greatest Magician' who vanished from history
- 5 Things podcast: Blinken urges 'humanitarian pauses' but US won't back ceasefire in Gaza
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Tom Emmer withdraws bid for House speaker hours after winning nomination, leaving new cycle of chaos
Parents like private school vouchers so much that demand is exceeding budgets in some states
Tyson Fury continues treading offbeat career path with fight against former UFC star Francis Ngannou
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Alicia Navarro update: What we know about former boyfriend Edmund Davis and child sex abuse charges
Home Depot employee accused of embezzling $1.2 million from company, police say
Jim Irsay says NFL admitted officiating errors at end of Browns-Colts game