Current:Home > MyThe U.K. blocks Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy game giant Activision Blizzard -Secure Growth Academy
The U.K. blocks Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy game giant Activision Blizzard
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:24:08
LONDON — British regulators on Wednesday blocked Microsoft's $69 billion purchase of video game maker Activision Blizzard, thwarting the biggest tech deal in history over worries that it would stifle competition in the fast-growing cloud gaming market.
The Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report that "the only effective remedy" to the substantial loss of competition "is to prohibit the Merger." The companies have vowed to appeal.
The all-cash deal faced stiff opposition from rival Sony and was also being scrutinized by regulators in the U.S. and Europe over fears that it would give Microsoft control of popular game franchises like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush.
The U.K. watchdog's concerns centered on how the deal would affect competition in cloud gaming, which involves streaming games to tablets, phones and other devices. That frees players from the need to buy expensive consoles and gaming computers.
Cloud gaming has the potential to change the industry by giving people more choice over how and where they play, said Martin Colman, chair of the Competition and Markets Authority's independent expert panel investigating the deal.
"This means that it is vital that we protect competition in this emerging and exciting market," he said.
Microsoft said it was disappointed and signaled it wasn't ready to give up.
"We remain fully committed to this acquisition and will appeal," President Brad Smith said in a statement. He said the watchdog's decision "rejects a pragmatic path to address competition concerns" and discourages tech innovation and investment in the United Kingdom.
"We're especially disappointed that after lengthy deliberations, this decision appears to reflect a flawed understanding of this market and the way the relevant cloud technology actually works," Smith said.
Activision also fired back, saying it would "work aggressively with Microsoft to reverse this on appeal."
Regulators had dropped concerns last month that the deal would hurt console gaming, saying it wouldn't benefit Microsoft to make Call of Duty exclusive to its Xbox console.
The watchdog said Wednesday that it reviewed Microsoft's proposals to ease competition concerns "in considerable depth" but found those solutions would require its oversight, whereas preventing the merger would allow cloud gaming to develop without intervention.
Microsoft already has a strong position in the cloud computing market and regulators concluded that if the deal went through, it would reinforce the company's advantage by giving it control of key game titles.
veryGood! (796)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Head of Theodore Roosevelt National Park departs North Dakota job
- Budget-Friendly Dorm Room Decor: Stylish Ideas Starting at $11
- Video shows 2 toddlers in diapers, distraught in the middle of Texas highway after crash
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Indiana Fever to host 2025 WNBA All-Star game
- NBA schedule released. Among highlights: Celtics-Knicks on ring night, Durant going back to school
- 'My heart is broken': Litter of puppies euthanized after rabies exposure at rescue event
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Matthew Perry's Assistant Repeatedly Injected Actor With Ketamine the Day He Died, Prosecutors Allege
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Viral Australian Olympic breakdancer Raygun responds to 'devastating' criticism
- A weatherman had a panic attack live on air. What it teaches us.
- Yankees star Aaron Judge becomes fastest player to 300 home runs in MLB history
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- She was last seen July 31. Her husband reported her missing Aug. 5. Where is Mamta Kafle?
- The Sunscreen and Moisturizer Duo That Saved My Skin on a Massively Hot European Vacation
- Arrests made in Virginia county targeted by high-end theft rings
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Stuffed or real? Photos show groundhog stuck inside claw machine
In Mississippi, discovery of elephant fossil from the ice age provides window into the past
The Notebook Actress Gena Rowlands Dead at 94
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Ranking MLB jersey advertisements: Whose patch is least offensive?
Alec Baldwin’s Rust Director Joel Souza Says On-Set Shooting “Ruined” Him
The Golden Bachelorette’s Joan Vassos Reveals She’s Gotten D--k Pics, Requests Involving Feet