Current:Home > NewsPanama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional -Secure Growth Academy
Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 07:27:16
PANAMA CITY (AP) — Panama’s Supreme Court on Tuesday declared unconstitutional a 20-year concession for a Canadian copper mine that had sparked weeks of protests by environmentalists and others who argued it would damage a forested coastal area and threaten water supplies.
The announcement by the nine-justice court, after four days of deliberations, set off cheers among demonstrators waiting outside and waving Panamanian flags.
“This is what we had been waiting for,” demonstrator Raisa Banfield said after what she called an agonizing wait. “The president has to suspend (mine) operations today.”
There was no immediate comment from Minera Panama, the local subsidiary of Canada’s First Quantum Minerals.
The dispute over the open-pit mine led to some of Panama’s most widespread protests in recent years, including a blockade of the mine’s power plant. Protesters also blocked parts of the Pan American highway, including a stretch near the border with Costa Rica. Just before the ruling was announced, they opened the roadway so that freight trucks could get through.
Minera Panama said in a statement earlier this month that small boats had blocked its port in Colon province, preventing supplies from reaching the mine. Naval police reported that a ship carrying coal decided to turn back due to “hostility from a group of protesters who from their boats threw rocks and blunt homemade objects” before being dispersed.
The protesters, a broad coalition of Panamanians, feared the mine’s impact on nature and especially on the water supply.
The mine employs thousands and accounts for 3% of Panama’s gross domestic product.
In March, Panama’s legislature reached an agreement with First Quantum allowing Minera Panama to continue operating the huge copper mine in central Panama for at least 20 more years. The mine was temporarily closed last year when talks between the government and First Quantum broke down over payments the government wanted.
The contract, given final approval Oct. 20, allowed the subsidiary to continue operating the mine in a biodiverse jungle on the Atlantic coast west of the capital for the next 20 years, with the possibility of extending for a further 20 years if the mine remains productive.
Since protests began, the government nearly passed legislation that would have revoked the contract, but it backtracked in a debate in the National Assembly on Nov. 2.
Protesters’ last hope was for Panama’s courts to declare the contract unconstitutional.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (41864)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Florida primary will set US Senate race but largely focus on state and local races
- The chilling story of a serial killer with a Border Patrol badge | The Excerpt
- Premier League highlights: Arsenal and Liverpool win season's opening Saturday
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- RFK Jr. wants the U.S. Treasury to buy $4M worth of Bitcoin. Here's why it might be a good idea.
- The Democratic National Convention is here. Here’s how to watch it
- What the VP picks says about what Harris and Trump want for America's kids
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Harris reveals good-vibes economic polices. Experts weigh in.
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- ‘Shoot me up with a big one': A timeline of the last days of Matthew Perry
- Dakota Johnson Confirms Chris Martin Relationship Status Amid Breakup Rumors
- Bird flu restrictions cause heartache for 4-H kids unable to show off livestock at fairs across US
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Harris reveals good-vibes economic polices. Experts weigh in.
- US Navy helicopter crew members injured in Nevada training mishap released from hospital
- Minnesota Vikings bolster depleted secondary, sign veteran corner Stephon Gilmore
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Shooting kills 2 and wounds 2 in Oakland, California
Immigrants prepare for new Biden protections with excitement and concern
Why you should be worried about massive National Public Data breach and what to do.
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Discarded gender and diversity books trigger a new culture clash at a Florida college
Taylor Swift shows off a new 'Midnights' bodysuit in Wembley
Watch: Patrick Mahomes makes behind-the-back pass after Travis Kelce messes up route