Current:Home > reviewsHolocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools -Secure Growth Academy
Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 06:32:52
NEW YORK (AP) — A Holocaust museum in New York City will offer free educational field trips to eighth grade students in public schools in a program announced Thursday aimed at combating antisemitism.
The program will allow up to 85,000 students at traditional public schools and charter schools to tour Manhattan’s Museum of Jewish Heritage over the next three years, starting this fall. New York City is the largest school district in the nation, serving more than a million students. Organizers say the museum and the new program have the capacity to host up to one-third of the district’s eighth graders each year.
City Council member Julie Menin said she raised the idea with the museum after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, in an effort to combat rising antisemitism in the U.S. Incidents targeting Jewish and Muslim Americans have been recorded across the country since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, ranging from offensive graffiti to violence.
“We needed a proactive approach to combat this hatred at its roots,” Menin, a Democrat and daughter of a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement. “That’s why I approached the Museum of Jewish Heritage with the vision of a universal field trip program.”
The effort will cost around $2.5 million, with $1 million coming from the Gray Foundation, a nonprofit backed by Blackstone CEO Jon Gray that funds other programs for New York youths, as well as cancer research. Menin said the museum will look to other sources for the rest.
The museum already offers student discounts and free admission days. The new program will cover transportation, guides and take-home materials for the eighth graders, Menin said.
The tours will focus on the global history of antisemitism and propaganda that precipitated the Holocaust, as well as offering an experience for students to reflect on current events, Menin’s statement said.
Principals will play a key role in deciding which schools will participate in the program, Menin said in a phone call. Schools can sign up through the museum website.
New York City Public Schools spokesperson Nathaniel Styer said in a statement that “programming is a school-based decision, but the funding in this announcement will help remove barriers to participation.”
In testimony before U.S. Congress earlier this month, New York City Schools Chancellor David Banks said the city had already begun rolling out new measures to combat antisemitism in schools, including developing a new curriculum “highlighting the culture and contributions of the Jewish community.”
New York schools are required to teach about the Holocaust, with explicit curriculum covering the subject beginning in eighth grade.
veryGood! (6739)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- 'Devastating': Colorado father says race was behind school stabbing attack on Black son
- How Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's Daughter Willow Reacted to Bombshell Book Revelations
- Wisconsin Republicans withhold university pay raises in fight over school diversity funding
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- A 1981 DeLorean with only 977 miles on it was unearthed in a Wisconsin barn
- As Drought Grips the Southwest, Water Utilities Find the Hunt For More Workers Challenging
- New York judge rejects Indiana ex-U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer’s request to remain free pending appeal
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Bills RB Damien Harris released from hospital after neck injury, per report
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Czech government faces no-confidence vote in Parliament sought by populist ex-prime minister
- Los Angeles hit with verdict topping $13 million in death of man restrained by police officers
- Pink Cancels Concerts Due to Family Medical Issues
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Chris Evans confirms marriage to Alba Baptista, says they've been 'enjoying life' since wedding
- Here's why gas prices are down, even in pricey California, as Israel-Hamas war escalates
- Brock Bowers has ankle surgery. What it means for Georgia to lose its standout tight end
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Oscar-winner Michelle Yeoh elected to be an International Olympic Committee member
A mountain lion in Pennsylvania? Residents asked to keep eye out after large feline photographed
Man faces misdemeanor for twice bringing guns to Wisconsin state Capitol, asking to see governor
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Happy National Boss Day — but don't tell Bruce Springsteen: Why he hates his nickname
Sri Lanka lifts ban on cricketer Gunathilaka after acquittal of rape charges in Australia
Palestinian medics in Gaza struggle to save lives under Israeli siege and bombardment