Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:District attorney says Memphis police officer may have been killed by friendly fire -Secure Growth Academy
Johnathan Walker:District attorney says Memphis police officer may have been killed by friendly fire
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:43:17
MEMPHIS,Johnathan Walker Tenn. (AP) — A 17-year-old suspect charged in the fatal shooting of a Memphis police officer has not been accused of first-degree murder because information obtained by the district attorney’s office shows the officer was killed by friendly fire, officials said.
In a statement, the office of Shelby County’s top prosecutor said the 17-year-old has been charged with 13 counts including attempted first-degree murder and assault against a first responder in the death of Officer Joseph McKinney on April 12.
McKinney and an 18-year-old man, identified as Jaylen Lobley, were killed in a shootout that developed as officers investigated a suspicious vehicle. The 17-year-old suspect was wounded and remains in the hospital. Another Memphis police officer was injured and a third officer was grazed and treated at the scene.
The DA’s office did not identify the 17-year-old suspect in statements released Wednesday about the charges, which carry up a maximum of 400 years in prison. The statements did not provide details about friendly fire aspect of the shooting.
“We have not proceeded with a murder charge at this time because current information indicates that Officer McKinney was killed by friendly fire,” one of the statements said. “Although current information indicates friendly fire, we believe the 17-year-old’s reprehensible actions are still the real cause of Officer McKinney’s death.”
The Memphis Police Department on Thursday referred questions to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, which is looking into the shooting.
“We continue to mourn the death of Officer Joseph McKinney, as we learn this new information,” police chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis said in a statement.
The TBI declined comment on the DA’s statements about friendly fire.
Lobley was arrested last month in a stolen vehicle with an illegally modified semiautomatic weapon that converted it to what Davis described as a “fully automatic machine gun.”
District Attorney Steve Mulroy said a Shelby County Judicial Commissioner made the decision to release Lobley on his own recognizance — with conditions including reporting and curfew — and did so despite prosecutors strongly arguing against it, citing the defendant’s danger to the community.
veryGood! (498)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Why Kim Kardashian Skipped the 2024 Met Gala After-Parties
- Tina Knowles Shares Rare Update on Beyoncé and Jay-Z's Twins Rumi and Sir
- Sydney Sweeney Is Unrecognizable With Black Fringe Hair Transformation
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Kendall Jenner's Butt-Baring Met Gala Look Makes Fashion History
- Demi Moore's 2024 Met Gala Dress Is, Um, Made From Wallpaper
- Cardi B and Offset Reunite at 2024 Met Gala After-Party Months After They Confirmed Their Latest Breakup
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Teens charged with felonies for dumping barrels full of trash into ocean after viral video
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Boeing's Starliner mission was scrubbed Monday. Here's when it will try to launch again.
- Timberwolves center Rudy Gobert misses Game 2 in Denver after flying home for birth of his son
- F1 Miami food prices circulated lacked context. Here's why $280 lobster rolls were on menu
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- A Town Board in Colorado Considers a Rights of Nature Repeal
- Police respond to shooting near Drake's Toronto home, reports say
- Shortstop CJ Abrams growing into star for Nationals: 'We’re going to go as far as he goes'
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
A jury awards $9 million to a player who sued the US Tennis Association over sexual abuse by a coach
Spencer Rattler's 'QB1' reality show followed him to NFL draft – but did it really matter?
Shortstop CJ Abrams growing into star for Nationals: 'We’re going to go as far as he goes'
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Man sitting on side of Oklahoma interstate confesses to woman's cold case murder, police say
Man sitting on side of Oklahoma interstate confesses to woman's cold case murder, police say
You’ll Flip for Shawn Johnson East’s Mother’s Day Advice Gift Recs, Including Must-Haves for Every Mom